Stater Bros. to Open Energy-efficient Supermarket
Stater Bros. this Wednesday will begin construction on a new store in Redlands, Calif., that will replace a smaller store in the Redlands Village Shopping Center. The store is scheduled to open September 2013.
At 44,000 square feet, the new Redlands Stater Bros. Supermarket will be approximately 50 percnt larger than the existing supermarket, and will feature wider, customer-friendly aisles, outdoor seating and a decor scheme designed to reflect the city's rich history.
"Since 1937, Stater Bros. has proudly served the community of Redlands and [we are] especially proud to build this modern and environmentally friendly supermarket to better serve our long-time and 'valued' Redlands Customers," said Jack H. Brown, chairman and CEO of Stater Bros.
Key enhancements include:
- Full-service meat department
- Full-service seafood department with experts to help with selection plus capability to season and fry on the spot
- Full-service deli including fried and baked chicken, specialty sandwiches, wraps, taco plates and olive bar
- Self-service beverage bar with new Coca-Cola "Freestyle" fountain drink station featuring over 150 flavors of soda; ICEE Drinks; ice teas; espresso; specialty coffees; vanilla lattes; and hot cocoa
- Full-service bakery with a selection of artisan breads and rolls, plus ice cream cakes, special occasion cakes and cupcakes
- Full-service floral department
- Full-service U.S. Bank
- Fresh produce department featuring more than 800 items with expanded organic selections
The new Redlands store will also include many environmentally friendly practices:
- Addition of LED lighting in building signage, parking lot lighting and refrigerated display cases plus use of glass doors and curtains in refrigerated cases that reduces energy usage by 60 percent
- Environmentally friendly, EPA GreenChill certified refrigeration system
- New lighting system that uses dimming ballasts, energy efficient lamps and occupancy sensors
- Energy management system that controls refrigeration, HVAC, demand response and lighting
- Recycling center located inside for customers to recycle paper and plastic grocery bags
- Earth-conscious alternatives such as large grocery bags made with 100 percent recycled paper and reusable bags for purchase
Stater Bros. operates 167 Supermarkets in Southern California.