Golden Penguins Awarded for March Frozen Food Month
The National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) has awarded 21 Gold and three Amber Penguin awards, which honor excellence in frozen food merchandising, to the best promotions for the 30th annual March Frozen Food Month. Additionally, 35 companies received Silver Penguins.
Amber awards mark three consecutive Gold awards in the same category. The Gold and Amber awards will be presented at the Grand Awards Banquet held during the NFRA Convention in San Diego this October. Silver awards are given out at the local level at appropriate frozen food association meetings.
The winners are as follows:
- Co-Op Wholesaler: Wakefern Corp., Keasbey, N.J.
- Corporate Wholesaler: Bozzuto’s Inc., Cheshire, Conn.
- Local Frozen Food Assn. Over 50 Members: Frozen Food Council of Northern California, Hollister, Calif.
- Manufacturer-Branded: Ateeco Inc./Mrs. T’s Pierogies, Shenandoah, Pa.
- Military Commissary Overall Store Promotion: Yokota Commissary, APO AP, assisted by Acosta Sales & Marketing (Military Division), APO AP (Amber Penguins awarded)
- Military Commissary Best Department Display: Yokota Commissary, APO AP, assisted by Acosta Sales & Marketing (Military Division), APO AP
- Military Commissary Best Endcap Display: Fort Bragg North Commissary, Fort Bragg, N.C., assisted by Acosta Sales & Marketing, Jacksonville, N.C.; Sheppard AFB Commissary, Sheppard AFB, Texas
- Military Sales Agent: Acosta Military, Norfolk, Va. (Amber Penguin awarded)
- Retail Corporate Chain or Division 10-50 Stores: Harmons Grocery, West Valley, Utah
- Retail Corporate Chain or Division Over 50 Stores: Weis Markets, Sunbury, Pa., assisted by Crane Communications Inc., Bala Cynwyd, Pa.
- Retail Sales Agent: Douglas Sales Associates, Inc., Piscataway, N.J.
- Retail Supermarket Overall Store Promotion: Chris’ Food Center, Sandstone, Minn., assisted by Dean Foods, Esko, Minn.
- Retail Supermarket Best Department Display: Kings Supermarket #49, Bedminster, N.J., assisted by Douglas Sales Associates,Inc., Piscataway, N.J.; Wharton ShopRite, Wharton, N.J., assisted by Douglas Sales Associates,Inc., Piscataway, N.J.
- Retail Supermarket Best Endcap Display: Tops Supermarket #520, Dansville, Dansville, N.Y.; assisted by Nestle USA - Pizza Division, Derby, N.Y.
- Co-Op Wholesaler: Associated Wholesalers, Inc., Robesonia, Pa.
- Corporate Wholesaler: Supervalu, Pleasant Prairie, Wis.
- Local Frozen Food Assn. Over 50 Members: Frozen & Refrigerated Foods of Central Florida, Temple Terrace, Fla.; North Florida Frozen & Refrigerated Food Association, Fleming Island, Fla.
- Military Commissary Overall Store Promotion: Camp Foster Commissary, APO AP, Calif., assisted by Ruiz Foods, Dinuba, Calif.
- Military Commissary Best Department Display: Fort Bragg North Commissary, Fort Bragg, N.C., assisted by Acosta Sales & Marketing; Ft. Leonard Wood Commissary, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., assisted by Acosta Sales & Marketing (Military Division), Norfolk, Va.; McClellan AFB, McClellan AFB, Calif.
- Military Commissary Best Endcap Display: Eglin Commissary, Eglin AFB, Fla., assisted by Acosta, Fort Walton Beach, Fla.; Ft. Sam Houston Commissary, San Antonio, Texas, assisted by Advantage Marketing, San Antonio, Texas
- Military Sales Agent: Dunham & Smith Agencies, Prince George, Va.
- Retail Corporate Chain or Division Less than 10 Stores: Dan’s Supreme Key Food, Hempstead, N.Y.
- Retail Corporate Chain or Division 10-50 Stores: Albertsons LLC South West, Tolleson, Ariz.; Food Maxx Supermarkets, Turlock, Calif.; Kings Food Markets, Parsippany, N.J.; Mars Supermarkets, Baltimore
- Retail Corporate Chain or Division Over 50 Stores: A&P, Montvale, N.J.; Ahold USA, Carlisle, Pa.; Key Foods, Staten Island, N.Y.; Roundy’s Supermarkets Inc., Milwaukee; Safeway Inc., Pleasanton, Calif.; Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto, Calif.
- Retail Sales Agent: Acosta Sales & Marketing-Safeway Team, Pleasanton, Calif.
- Retail Supermarket Best Department Display: Save Mart #94, Lathrop, Calif.; ShopRite of Manahawkin, Manahawkin, N.J., assisted by Douglas Sales Associates, Inc., Piscataway, N.J.
- Retail Supermarket Best Endcap Display: Albertson’s #981, Chandler, Ariz., assisted by Co-Sales Co., Phoenix; Bashas #110, Mesa, Ariz., assisted by The Pictsweet Co., Bells, Tenn.
Judging was carried out by marketing professionals from accredited colleges and universities. Winning entries showed effective, creative use of such promotional elements as in-store programs, advertising, consumer education, merchandising materials and special displays.
Joined by 18 participating brands, NFRA boosted awareness of March Frozen Food Month by distributing a three-page FSI with coupons and package shots to more than 36 million consumers across the United States. The organization also teamed with DreamWorks Animation on the theatrical premiere of "The Croods," a tie-in that encouraged consumers to enter the DreamWorks Family Adventure Sweepstakes hosted on NFRA’s EasyHomeMeals.com consumer website. Additionally, fans of NFRA’s Easy Home Meals Facebook page had the opportunity to win a Freezer Giveaway courtesy of Hussmann.
PR initiatives enhancing the promotion included a behind-the-scenes video telling the story of frozen foods’ journey from field to fork, and a Cool Food panel of bloggers who developed recipes and tips in support of March Frozen Food Month.
Golden Penguins will also be awarded for June Dairy Month and the June/July Ice Cream & Novelties display contest.