Progressive Grocer's Healthy Shopper Summit to Highlight Total Wellness Solutions
Hosted by Progressive Grocer, Retail Dietitian’s Healthy Shopper Summit will offer retail dietitians, pharmacists, merchandisers and category managers at retail, as well as CPG dietitians and brand managers, a whole-store philosophy: a 360-degree view of wellness in the store, including how the categories work together to improve the health and wellness of shoppers.
The summit will be held June 26-27 in Chicago, in conjunction with the United Fresh Produce Association’s 2018 show.
Health and wellness is an increasingly essential yet complex driver in consumers’ buying decisions, and retailers must embrace their role as both an advocate for, and supporter of, shoppers’ desire to make better choices, and offer those solutions.
Healthy Shopper Summit takes into consideration health-conscious and aspirational shoppers, prohibitive shoppers who make decisions based on a medical or health condition, and ethical/social shoppers who spend based on personal values. The session agenda is designed to be “Ahead of what’s next,” in keeping with PG’s promissory tagline.
As part of the summit, PG also will recognize three retailers with the most innovative programs that retail dietitians have developed, executed or supported. From store tours and sampling, to website messaging and community outreach, retail dietitians work to create value for their customers, their retail associates, and the banners that they proudly serve.
The summit will be co-located with SmartFood Expo, the only B2B event solely focused on fresh, healthy and better-for-you food and beverage products across all categories.
Powered by United Fresh Produce Association, EnsembleIQ and PG, the expo will feature two new partners with show floor pavilions focused on up-and-coming food product categories: The rapidly growing Plant Based Foods Association and its member companies will feature a wide array of new plant-based foods, while the Chicagoland Food Incubation Hub, hosted by the Chicagoland Food & Beverage Network, will enable locally based startups to gain exposure to a national audience.
Tuesday, June 26
- 7:30-8 a.m. - Breakfast
- 8-8:45 a.m. - Keynote: Why is Health and Wellness the Thing of the Moment? Dan Stanek, EVP, WD Partners
- 8:45 -9 a.m. - Case Study: Kroger's OptUp App Allison Kuhn, Director of Retail Nutrition, Kroger Health
- 9-9:30 a.m. - The Health-Minded Consumer and the Evolution of Food for Wellness, Matt Lally, Associate Director, Fresh Growth & Strategy, Nielsen
- 9:30-10 a.m. - Close the Gap: Strategies for Helping Low-Income Families Overcome Perceived Barriers to Nutrition Melanie Hall, M.S., R.D, Nutrition Marketing, Kellogg
- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - One-on-One Meetings, Retailers and Sponsors
- 12:30-1:15 p.m. - Lunch
- 1:15-1:30 p.m. - Probiotics: What They Are & Dispelling the Myths Sonja Nodland, Senior Scientist, GanedenBC30® & Wellmune Kerry
- 1:30-2 p.m. - Focus on Family Meals Susan Borra, RD Chief Health and Wellness Officer, Executive Director, FMI Foundation
- 2-2:45 p.m. - Retailer Panel: Health Across the Store Hope Danielson, Director of Health, Niemann Foods; Ashley Martinez, Culinary Dietitian, Kroger; Kim Kirchherr, Health & Wellbeing Advisor, IGA
- 2:45-3:15 p.m. - Building Retail Healthcare Solutions Mitch Uyeda, Director, Research & Strategy, EnsembleIQ Research Solutions
- 3:15-3:30 p.m. - Break
- 3:30-4 p.m. - What’s Motivating Today’s Healthy Shopper, Jennifer Aranas, Senior Project Manager/Chef, Datassential
- 4-4:30 p.m. - Plant-Based Shopping: How Supermarkets Can Help Consumers Looking to Include More Plant-Based Options Michele Simon, Executive Director, Plant Based Food Association
- 4:30-5 p.m. - The Impact of Registered Dietitians in Nutrition Marketing through Multiple Communication Channels, Kerry Clifford, Corporate Registered Dietitian; Meghan Sedivy, RD, LDN, Fresh Thyme Farmers Market
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Reception/Dinner/Awards
Wednesday, June 27
- 7:30-8 a.m. - Breakfast
- 8-9 a.m. - Innovations from Tech to Taste: Explore the Developments in Helping Shoppers Choose Healthy Options Judy Seybold, Chief Nutrition Officer for itemMaster; Gerry Morrison, CEO, AlluLite; Jonathan Clinthorne, Nutrition Communication Manager, Atkins; Chad Boeckman, Director, Marketing and National Accounts, Wenda Ingredients
- 9-9:45 a.m. - RD Talks: Real Dialogue for Retail Dietitians
- 9:45-10 a.m. - Break
- 10-10:30 a.m. - RD Talks: Real Deal Strategies Shared
- 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - One-on-One Meetings, Retailers and Sponsors
- 12:30-2 p.m. - Tour of Trade Show Floor (retailers only)
- 2-4 p.m. - Free Time to Explore Trade Show Floor