Dorothy Lane Market Named Supervalu 2017 Grand Master Marketer
During its fourth annual National Expo, Supervalu named Dorothy Lane Market the 2017 Grand Master Marketer, in addition to 33 category winners in its annual Master Marketer competition, which recognizes best-in-class marketing efforts by independent retailers served by the Eden Prairie, Minn.-based wholesaler.
As Grand Master Marketer, Dorothy Lane Market, with three stores in Dayton, Ohio, received a $25,000 grant, payable to the charity of its choice from the Supervalu Foundation.
“As has been the case each year, this year’s group of Master Marketer winners has raised the bar in terms of the quality, creativity and success of their campaigns,” said Mike Stigers, Supervalu's EVP wholesale. “We received a record number of entries, each demonstrating the unique capabilities of our wholesale customers as they continuously find new and exciting ways to engage their customers in a very competitive marketplace. Congratulations to all of the winners.”
More than 500 marketing programs were submitted for the awards, and were judged on the creativity, clarity and effectiveness of the stores’ marketing efforts. Attendees at the National Expo used a mobile app to select the Master Marketer People’s Choice Award from 12 nominees in the TV commercial category. Grand Caymon’s Foster’s Food Fair won the People’s Choice Award, with 32 percent of the vote.
The full list of store winners by category is as follows:
Stores 30,000 square feet and smaller
- Center Store Department – Dorothy Lane Market, Dayton, Ohio
- Extra Effort Advertising – Hall’s Great Valu, Colonial Beach, Va.
- Fresh Department – Baesler’s Market, Linton, Ind.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Jerry's Foods, Sanibel, Fla.
- Industry Promotion – Centre Avenue Shop ‘n Save, Pittsburgh
- Private Brands – Gary & Leo’s Fresh Foods IGA, Florence, Mont.
- Public Service/Community – Murphy’s Fresh Market, Medford, N.J.
- Radio Spots – Island Foods Great Valu, Chincoteague Island, Va.
- TV Commercials – Everyday IGA #2, Great Falls, Mont.
- Website/Social Media – Dick’s Fresh Market, River Falls, Wis.
- Master Marketer – Baesler’s Market, Linton, Ind.
Stores larger than 30,000 square feet
- Center Store Department – Jerry’s Foods, Woodbury, Minn.
- Extra Effort Advertising – Green Valley Marketplace, Arnold, Md.
- Fresh Department – Dorothy Lane Market, Dayton, Ohio
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Palubicki’s Family Market and Spirits, Fosston, Minn.
- Industry Promotion – Western Market, Mountain Brook, Ala.
- Private Brands – Western Beef Supermarket, Boca Raton, Fla.
- Public Service/Community – Trig’s, Rhinelander, Wis.
- Radio Spots – Dissmore’s IGA, Pullman, Wash.
- TV Commercials – Elmer’s County Market, Escanaba, Mich.
- Website/Social Media – Mihelic’s Shop ’n Save, Glenshaw, Pa.
- Master Marketer – Green Valley Marketplace, Arnold, Md.
Store groups with five or more locations
- Center Store Department – Redner’s Markets, Reading, Pa.
- Extra Effort Advertising – Shop ‘n Save, Pittsburgh
- Fresh Department – Shop ‘n Save, Canonsburg, Pa.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – McCaffrey’s Food Markets, Blue Bell, Pa.
- Industry Promotion – Skogen’s Festival Foods, De Pere, Wis.
- Private Brands – Shoppers Value Foods, Van Buren, Ark.
- Public Service/Community – Miner’s Super One Foods, Duluth, Minn.
- Radio Spots – County Market, Quincy, Ill.
- TV Commercials – Skogen’s Festival Foods, De Pere, Wis.
- Website/Social Media – County Market, Quincy, Ill.
- Master Marketer – Redner’s Markets, Reading, Pa.