Weis Completes Record Expansion
Weis Markets has completed an expansion and upgrade of its supermarket in Lititz, Pa., at a cost of $8.2 million, the most the grocer reports it has ever invested in an existing store project.
A grand re-opening celebration was scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 6, when the company was expected to announce $22,000 in local donations.
“This is the biggest remodel/addition project we’ve ever done,” said Dennis Curtin, Weis Markets’ director of public relations. “We have reinvented our Lititz store and expanded it by 13,000 square feet and improved every department in the store. This is the supermarket equivalent of an extreme makeover.”
With its 13,000-square-foot expansion, the now 64,258-square-foot store offers the following features:
- Larger meat, seafood and bakery departments with expanded service counters and increased variety.
Expanded deli offering an increased selection of prepared foods, take-out items and sushi, which is made in-store daily.
- In-store café.
- Expanded produce department with an increased selection of local and organic produce.
- Larger center store, dairy, frozen and non-foods/HBC departments with increased variety.
- Relocated and expanded pharmacy department with state-of-the-art technology that improves pharmacy services and accuracy rates.
- All-new décor and a new exterior.
- Energy-efficient LED lighting and new dairy cases with doors that reduce energy usage by up to 80 percent.
- Expanded selection of international and gourmet products.
- Larger parking lot.
As part of the grand re-opening, a Weis Markets’ team distributed 4,000 reusable bags containing $126,000 worth of free store brand products and coupons to neighborhoods near its store. Weis also is making the following local donations: $20,000 to Lancaster General Health to benefit its pre-natal care case management services program for low-income women who are expecting; and individual $500 donations to the Lititz Borough Fire Department, Lititz Borough Police Department, Lititz Public Library and Warwick Community Ambulance.
Founded in 1912, Weis Markets currently operates 161 stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, and West Virginia.