Wegmans Debuts Online Cake Ordering
Wegmans Food Markets Inc. has introduced online celebration cake and cookie cake orders. Select cakes can be customized, ordered and paid via website with a credit or debit card and at least 24 hours’ notice. Orders can be picked up at all of the Rochester, N.Y.-based supermarket chain’s stores.
“Many customers have asked us for the convenience of online cake orders for special occasions like graduation parties, baby showers, and family reunions,” noted Wegmans Bakery Business Manager Dan Nick. “We listened and developed a solution to help meet those needs for the cakes our customers order most.”
Among the options:
- Cake type and size: Celebration and cookie cakes both come in quarter, half, and full sheets, as well as in round one- and two-layer 7-inch sizes
- Flavor: Chocolate or vanilla, or a combination of the two
- Frosting: Whipped cream or buttercreme, made without artificial colors
- Filling: Nine flavors, including raspberry, chocolate ganache or fresh fruit
- Decorations and messages: Edible balloons or roses, custom messages, or images uploaded on all sheet cake sizes
Not currently available to order online are cupcakes, specialty themes, character kits and Wegmans Ultimate Cakes.
When an online order is placed, the customer will receive an email with a confirmation number, store contact information, and when and where the cake can be picked up. Shoppers can also order cakes by phone or in person at the catering desk or bakery counter.
“We’re happy to introduce this option for those who may prefer to place an order from a computer or mobile device, especially as we head into the peak season for cake requests in late spring and summer,” added Nick.
Family-owned Wegmans operates 92 stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts.