Wakefern, Target Recognized as Supply Chain Data Leaders
Wakefern Food Corp., Target Corporation, The Hershey Company, Colgate-Palmolive Company and Kellogg Company received Power of 1 Awards at GS1 Connect 2013, the annual conference sponsored by GS1 US for achievements in data quality, data synchronization adoption and innovation initiatives.
Tim Smucker, Chairman of the Board, The J.M. Smucker Company, received the 1WorldSync Compass Award.
The awards were presented at a special reception by 1WorldSync, a provider of data synchronization and product data management (PDM) that has loaded more than 9.7 million Global Trade Item Numbers (GTINs) in the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) and serves over 15,000 global users.
“The Power of 1 Awards honor organizations that have made the greatest impact on the 1WorldSync community of trading partners through their exceptional work in product data management and GDSN initiatives,” said Dan Wilkinson, managing director of 1WorldSync Americas. “These companies and this individual have shown remarkable leadership and innovation that have inspired enhancements in data quality and processes, and increased adoption of data synchronization.”
The 2013 1WorldSync Power of 1 Award recipients are:
- Data Quality (Retailer): Wakefern Food Corp.: Wakefern Food Corp. is the largest retailer-owned cooperative in the United States. It’s a long-standing member of the GDSN and a strong advocate in the use of GS1 Standards for improving the quality of information in the supply chain. It closely monitors data synchronization with its supplier community and currently has over 1,000 supplier connections. Their commitment to data quality includes supplier education, internal audits and scorecards, and the drive to create improved workflow for the entire GDSN community.
- GDSN Adoption (Retailer): Target Corporation: Target is a high-end discounter that provides quality, on-trend merchandise at attractive prices in clean, spacious and guest-friendly stores. Target has partnered extensively with 1WorldSync to develop a GDSN adoption program with the goal of establishing global data synchronization as the preferred method of item set-up and maintenance. It transitioned ownership internally and formed a GDS Operations team focused on increasing the total number of suppliers utilizing the GDSN. These efforts have led Target to average over 23 new connections every week to date in 2013. Target’s goal is to have 80 percent of the carton volume flowing through their supply chain synchronized by the end of 2015.
- Data Quality (Manufacturer): The Hershey Co.: Hershey is the largest producer of quality chocolate in North America and a global leader in chocolate and sugar confectionery. With revenues of more than $6.6 billion, the company offers confectionery products under more than 80 brand names, including such iconic brands as Hershey’s, Reese’s, Hershey’s Kisses, Hershey’s Bliss, Hershey’s Special Dark, Kit Kat, Twizzlers, Jolly Rancher and Ice Breakers. Hershey has had an ongoing commitment to data quality, which extends to all levels of the company.
- GDSN Adoption (Manufacturer): Colgate-Palmolive Company.: Colgate-Palmolive sells its products in over 200 countries and territories around the world. It has been a member of the 1WorldSync data pool since 2002, have published over 33,000 GTINs and have connections with over 45 trading partners in eight countries. In addition to its oral care products, Colgate-Palmolive is synchronizing items from other product categories and is actively engaged with several GDSN standards workgroups and the 1WorldSync Strategic Council.
- Innovation: Kellogg Co. Kellogg was one of the first in their industry to recognize the importance of creating a single source of product data that could be used throughout their internal organization and shared externally with their trading partners. As an early adopter of the GS1 standards initiative, it has been at the forefront of creating industry awareness through their marketing programs and active community engagement. It’s involved in several GS1 workgroups and has participated in multiple pilot programs and case studies. Additionally, Kellogg has implemented a new product information management (PIM) solution to enhance its customer and consumer engagements, and is making early preparations to meet the demands of the new EU food regulations beginning in December 2014.
- 1WorldSync Compass Award: Timothy P. Smucker, chairman of The J.M. Smucker Co.: J.M. Smucker is North America’s leading marketer and manufacturer of brands such as Smucker’s, Folgers, Jif, Crisco, Pillsbury, and Eagle Brand. Smucker has served on the board of directors since 1973 and also currently serves as vice chairman and chairman emeritus for the GS1 Management Board, where he was recently recognized with the GS1 Lifetime Achievement Award. His leadership, vision and innovation in the use of information standards has not only advanced the food and beverage industries, but has improved business processes and helped companies share information efficiently around the world.