Unified Grocers Promotes Three Execs
Unified Grocers has promoted three members of its management team.
Joe Falvey and Sue Klug were both named EVPs and Gary Herman was promoted to SVP.
"To continue our recent momentum will take imaginative and energetic leadership," said President and CEO Bob Ling. "That means continuing to develop and add to our senior team, giving opportunities to those who have proved themselves ready to take the next step in their careers and adding the best talent from outside the company."
Falvey has been with the grocery distributor since 1999 and was instrumental in the growth of Unified’s specialty division, Market Centre, by creating new sales opportunities in organic, natural and ethnic foods.
Klug, who served as chief marketing officer since joining the company in 2012, played a key role in developing a scan data program and the company’s Hispanic marketing programs, Celebremos! And MercadoSavings. She now also will be responsible for strategic sourcing and real estate; Gary Hammett, VP of estate, is retiring.
Herman, formerly CIO, oversaw the company’s information services and maintained state-of-the-art logistics systems as well as an extranet for the vendors, buyers and retail members.
"Joe, Sue and Gary have proven track records of delivering solid results for our organization," said Ling. "All are dynamic leaders whose vision and passion have helped drive Unified's recent successes. They will play important roles in driving the next phase of the company's growth."
The company also made several promotions to its executive team.
- Mike Brown was promoted to VP of retail services and will oversee merchandising, advertising, retail pricing, consumer insights and retail technology.
- Blake Larson was promoted to VP of accounting.
- Keith Miller was promoted to VP, market centre operations and will be in charge of procurement for specialty/gourmet, Hispanic, general merchandise and health/beauty/wellness.
- Ray VanWetten was promoted to VP of sales for the Pacific Northwest.
- Gregg Bostick also joined the company as VP, logistics.
Unified Grocers is a retailer-owned wholesale grocery distributor that supplies independent retailers throughout the western United States.