Supervalu Honors Indie Marketing
Supervalu Inc. is honoring the winners of its annual Master Marketer competition, which recognizes excellence in marketing by independent retailers served by the company’s wholesale distribution business in its northern region.
Awards were presented in 20 categories during Supervalu's annual Storewide Merchandising Expo last week.
In addition to the 20 category winners, Lund Food Holdings Inc. of Edina, Minn., was named the 2013 Grand Master Marketer for overall performance. Lunds also was a winner in the public service/community and the website/social media categories for stores larger than 30,000 square feet. Lund Food Holdings Inc. includes 22 Lunds and Byerly’s supermarkets throughout Minnesota.
“The Master Marketer competition showcases the best in advertising, community relations and other marketing efforts by independent grocery retailers each year,” said Mike Stigers, president of Supervalu's Northern Region. “We were thrilled and impressed with the quality and creativity demonstrated by the more than 300 nominations we received for this year’s awards. All of the entrants continue to find new and exciting ways to connect with consumers in their respective marketplaces. Congratulations to the winners for their outstanding work in a very competitive field.”
The full list of winners, categorized based on store size, are as follows:
Stores 30,000 square feet and smaller
• Center Store Department – Jubilee Foods, Mound, Minn.; Bob Boese and Scott Logelin, store owners
• Extra Effort Advertising – Dick’s Fresh Market, Osceola, Wis.; Doug Rinehart, store owner
• Fresh Department – Krause’s Market, Hazen, N.D.; D. and Kari Krause, store owners
• Grand Opening/Anniversary – Gordy’s Market, Chetek, Wis.; Gordy’s Inc.
• Industry Promotion – Blanton’s IGA, Packwood, Wash.; Hal Blanton, store owner
• Private Brands – Geyer’s Fresh Foods, Mansfield, Ohio; Rick Geyer, store owner
• Public Service/Community – Coborn’s, Buffalo, Minn.; Coborn’s Inc.
• Radio Spots – Bailey’s IGA, Rochester, Wash.; Tammy and Brian Bailey, store owners
• TV Commercials – Tatsuda’s IGA, Ketchikan, Alaska; Bill Tatsuda, store owner
• Website/Social Media – Wyatt’s Supervalu, Falmouth, Ky.; Dixie Owen, store owner
Stores larger than 30,000 square feet
• Center Store Department – Pete’s County Market, Alexandria, Minn.; Neil Peterson, store owner
• Extra Effort Advertising – Cub Foods Lake Street, Minneapolis; Jerry’s Enterprises
• Fresh Department – The Markets, Bellingham, Wash.; The Markets LLC
• Grand Opening/Anniversary – Jungle Jim’s, Cincinnati; Jim Bonominio, store owner
• Industry Promotion – Coborn’s Pine Cone Road, Sartell, Minn.; Coborn’s Inc.
• Private Brands – County Market, Hudson, Wis.; Jerry’s Enterprises
• Public Service/Community – Lunds/Byerly’s, Edina, Minn.; Lund Food Holdings Inc.
• Radio Spots – Dissmore’s IGA, Pullman, Wash.; Archie McGregor III and Brian McGregor, store owners
• TV Commercials – Gordy’s County Market, Eau Claire, Wis.; Gordy’s Inc.
• Website/Social Media – Lunds/Byerly’s, Edina, Minn.; Lund Food Holdings Inc.
More than 300 marketing programs were submitted for the 2013 Master Marketer awards, given annually to independent retailers served by Supervalu’s wholesale distribution business, Northern Region, which includes Alaska, California, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, Western Wisconsin and Wyoming, as well as Guam.
Eden Prairie, Minn.-based Supervalu Inc. operates a network of approximately 3,420 stores, composed of 1,900 independent stores serviced primarily by the company’s food distribution business; 1,332 Save-A-Lot stores, of which 957 are operated by licensee owners; and 191 traditional retail grocery stores.