Stater Bros. Cutting Lighting Energy in Half
Stater Bros. Markets is voluntarily reducing lighting energy use by 50 percent in all 168 of its locations from noon to 6 p.m. during the summer, for a decrease of 425,000 kilowatt-hours per month.
The decreased energy, which could power 470 homes per month and reduces the possibility of rotating outages during the summer, is just one of Stater Bros.’ environmentally friendly efforts, which also include:
- Reduction of energy by 60 percent per refrigerated case in 85 percent of its locations via closed-door cases and LED lighting, with full implementation by 2018
- LED lighting for refrigerated cases in all stores and LED lighting for the sales floor in remodels and new stores
- Energy management systems in all stores that control energy usage and demand
- More than 34 million pounds of waste removed to help produce biofuel, animal feed and agricultural compost
- Recycling more than 73 million pounds of cardboard and more than 2.5 million pounds of plastic bags
- Recycling more than 9.5 million pounds of meat rendering and grease to help manufacture products that are used in the agriculture, oleochemical and biofuels industries
- Recycling centers inside each supermarket for customers to recycle paper and plastic grocery bags
- Printing weekly ads on recycled paper
- More than 3 million pounds of donations to local food banks annually
In addition, Stater Bros. has received the Best Emissions Rate Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s GreenChill Partnership for having the lowest corporate-wide refrigerant emissions rate of all the GreenChill partners. The company is also the only grocer to have seven stores in California that have received GreenChill Gold Level certification.
“Stater Bros. has always believed in doing the right thing for the right reason, and expanding our environmentally friendly business practices is simply the right thing to do,” said Executive Chairman Jack H. Brown. “As we celebrate 80 years of serving Southern California families, we want to ensure that we are doing our part so that the values and legacy of our founders, Leo and Cleo Stater, will be enjoyed for many generations to come.”
San Bernardino, Calif.-based Stater Bros. operates 168 supermarkets and employs approximately 18,000 people.