PBH Names New Slate of Role Models, Champions
The Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) has named 40 non-retail companies within the fruit and vegetable industry as Fruits & Veggies-More Matters Role Models and Champions for 2011, in recognition of their support for the national public health campaign and for PBH
A total of 31 companies earned Role Model status (the top level of recognition) and seven achieved Champion status.
“We’re extremely proud and appreciative of the efforts contributed by all these Role Models and Champions to remind consumers that increasing fruit and vegetable consumption is important through use of the Fruits & Veggies-More Matters logo and messaging,” said Elizabeth Pivonka, president and CEO of the Hockessin, Del.-based PBH.
The industry Role Models are:
* Alberto-Culver Specialty Brands
* American Frozen Food Institute
* Barsotti Juice Company
* Blue Book Services
* California Avocado Commission
* C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc.
* Chelan Fresh Marketing
* Del Monte Foods
* Del Monte Fresh Produce
* Dole Food Company
* Domex Superfresh Growers
* Duda Farm Fresh Foods
* Giorgio Mushrooms
* Juice Products Association
* Kellogg Company
* Maryland Food Center Authority
* McDonald’s Corporation
* Monsanto Vegetable Seeds
* Mushroom Council
* Pacific Coast Producers
* Pear Bureau Northwest
* Produce Marketing Association
* Rainier Fruit Co., Inc.
* Seneca Foods Corporation
* Stemilt Growers, Inc.
* Subway World Headquarters
* Sun-Maid Growers of California
* U.S. Apple Association
* United States Potato Board
* The Walt Disney Company
Their support encompassed:
- Placing Fruits & Veggies-More Matters logo on packaging, bins, poly bags and totes
- Linking to FruitsAndVeggiesMoreMatters.org website
- Speaking about Fruits & Veggies-More Matters during meetings and presentations
- Featured Fruits & Veggies-More Matters messaging and logo in employee newsletters and health focused programs, in advertising and PR efforts, in marketing and collateral materials and in wellness programs and community outreach efforts
- Participation as a PBH board of trustees member
- Service on PBH’s executive committee
- Service on PBH board-level committees
- Attendance at annual board meeting and dinner/auction
The industry Champions are: Bayer CropScience, Green Giant Frozen & Canned, Grimmway Farms, Phillips Mushroom, Ruiz Sales, The United States Sweet Potato Council and White Rose Frozen Food.
Examples of support from the Champions include:
- Placed logo on packaging, bins, poly bags, and totes
- Placed logo on non-edible food items
- Link to www.FruitsAndVeggiesMoreMatters.org website
- Featuring Fruits & Veggies-More Matters in advertising and promotions, in PR and marketing efforts, as well as speaking platforms
The companies will be formally recognized during a special Role Model and Champion luncheon to be held during the general session of PBH’s Annual Meeting on March 30 in Monterey, Calif. Organizations within the fruit and vegetable industry can earn PBH Role Model and Champion honors for helping to realize the power the Fruits & Veggies-More Matters health campaign has to influence consumption, and boost bottom lines in the process.
More information on becoming a Role Model or Champion is available on the PBH website; separate criteria can be viewed for supermarket retailers. The foundation will identify and reference these role models in the ongoing public relations activities of Fruits & Veggies-More Matters.