Lundberg Family Farms Unveils New HQ
Organic rice producer Lundberg Family Farms recently unveiled its new corporate offices in Richvale, Calif. It’s the first time the 74-year-old, family-owned company’s offices are all under one roof.
The 27,658-square-foot building, constructed with recycled steel and reclaimed wood from barns, was designed with energy efficiency and the environment in mind. “We are committed to sustainable and environmentally responsible farming and business practices, and this building is a further expression of our family’s commitment,”says Grant Lundberg, CEO and a member of the third generation of Lundbergs.
The exterior materials include stucco, reclaimed wood from old barns and shops, and metal. Wood from Founder Albert Lundberg’s original rice dryer was used to construct tables and benches for conference rooms and the visitor center.
The office offers a naturally lit, open workspace environment. Plus, the building is located near the family farm where Lundberg grows and processes much of its organic rice and rice products.
Some of the energy efficient and environmental design elements incorporated into the new building include:
- Radiant heat
- Cooling using energy-efficient chilled water and heat exchangers
- Wastewater technologies that provide an average annual savings of more than 50 percent.
- Landscaping using native and/or adaptive planting to protect or restore habitat.
- Implementing a storm water management plan whereby storm water run-off from the rainfall is captured and removed at a rate equal to native conditions.
The new building also pays homage to the company’s history; the 1935 Farmall Tractor in front of the building is the original tractor that family patriarch Albert Lundberg brought from Nebraska to begin farming in Richvale in the 1930s. The Lundberg Visitors’ Center includes a story wall with 40 pictures that cover the early days of the company to present; and a reception desk clad in reclaimed wood and tin from the original dryer that Albert and his sons built in the 1940s.