Giant Eagle Debuts Market District Express
Giant Eagle unveiled the latest iteration of its multi-format store portfolio this week with its first-ever Market District Express in the Pittsburgh suburb of McMurray.
Characterized as “a bite-sized” version of its much larger food-focused Market District banner stores, the 15,500-square-foot Market District Express – situated on a four-acre lot that was once home to a car dealership – also features a GetGo fueling station with 16 pumps and an adjacent Wet Go car wash.
Although its footprint is smaller than its eight larger sister stores, food remains the star attraction of Giant Eagle’s new Market District Express, which includes a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating; extensive prepared foods for on-site or take-out consumption; a soup/salad bar; fresh sushi; a wide variety of grocery items; and a small Starbucks outlet near the front entrance.
'Next Step in Concept Development'
Open from 6 a.m. to midnight seven days a week, "Market District Express is the next step in the development of our concepts, combining a modern dining experience in a contemporary rustic atmosphere, with a grocery selection that allows area customers to shop close for their everyday needs,” said Giant Eagle CEO Laura Karet.
Other highlights of the new concept store include:
- 350 varieties of beer and eight selections of wine by the glass
- A full-service pharmacy and drive-through window
- High ceilings and reclaimed barn wood for supports
- Multi-daypart made-to-order meals, for which eat-in diners are guided to select where to dine from among 130 seats – 84 inside and 46 outside – with a GPS-generated direct table delivery system
- The breakfast menu features unique twists on popular fare, such as vanilla-buttermilk French toast and breakfast burritos topped with tomatillo chipotle salsa made with organic and farm-fresh ingredients. Customers can also choose from custom-made omelets, fresh-baked bagels, mixed berries, and breakfast sandwiches.
- The lunch and dinner menu offers a wide selection of made-to-order sandwiches, sides and entrees including stone-hearth baked pizzas, gourmet burgers, fresh made-daily soups, herb-roasted salmon, flat iron steak and pommes frites, and rosemary paillard of chicken.
- A first-ever self-serve frozen yogurt bar with multiple flavors and toppings
Pittsburgh-based Giant Eagle has 420 retail locations throughout western Pennsylvania, north central Ohio, northern West Virginia and Maryland.
-- Meg Major