Skip to main content

Coca-Cola Awards Recycling Bins to 51 Communities, 43 Colleges

Colleges, K-12 schools, nonprofits and local governments will now be better able to advance their recycling efforts, thanks to a significant grant made possible by The Coca-Cola Foundation. The winning communities, schools, universities and organizations will receive nearly 4,500 recycling bins, more than 65 percent of which are designed specifically for permanent, ongoing use in heavily-trafficked public spaces and events, with the remaining 35 percent to be used by students in collegiate residence halls.

In its 9th year, the Coca-Cola/Keep America Beautiful Recycling Bin Grant Program continues to recognize the significant need for public space recycling bins with more than 1,027 applications received. Overall, recycling bins will be used for special event recycling and placed at athletic fields, streetscapes, parks, K-12 schools and local government facilities. Additionally, Coca-Cola has expanded its investment in the bin grant program to include a specific focus on two-year community colleges, with 15 recycling bin grants going to two-year colleges and 28 going to traditional four-year colleges and universities.

“By providing recycling bins to communities, organizations and universities, we can make a difference in increasing recycling in the U.S. and help overcome a main barrier of recycling – convenience,” said Brenda Pulley, SVP, recycling, Keep America Beautiful. “We are truly grateful for Coca-Cola’s continued support and commitment to recycling, and the Recycling Bin Grant Program.”

As public space recycling becomes a more pressing need, communities are seeking to increase the availability of recycling bins at local libraries, hometown art or music festivals, or simply at any on-the-go location. All of these locations are eligible to receive bins through the Coca-Cola/KAB Recycling Bin Grant Program. 

“Through this program and our more than 50-year partnership with Keep America Beautiful, we are helping to ensure that communities understand the importance of recycling,” said Lori George Billingsley, VP, community relations, Coca-Cola North America. “Community recycling not only impacts the environment today, but it helps build sustainable communities for the future.”

Recipients were chosen by Keep America Beautiful based on criteria including the extent of their need, recycling experience and their ability to sustain the program in the future. Special outreach was made to colleges and universities through a partnership with the College and University Recycling Coalition (CURC), a membership organization serving campus recycling managers.

Since 2007, the program has placed more than 35,000 recycling bins in more than 500 communities across the U.S.  A full list of the spring 2014 Recycling Bin Grant recipients and further information about the grant program is available online.

Since its inception, The Coca-Cola Foundation has awarded more than $660 million to support global sustainable community initiatives, including water stewardship, women’s empowerment and well-being.

This ad will auto-close in 10 seconds