After several weeks of renovations, Brookshire’s World of Wildlife Museum unveiled a newly remodeled playground that includes all new equipment, with specific structures for children between the ages of two to five, five to eight and eight to 12, in addition to new shading and play area ground surface. The playground also features a 1952 La France fire truck, which was donated to the museum in 1991 by Bruce G. Brookshire, the late chairman of the board and son of company founder W. T. Brookshire.
Established in 1975 by Brookshire Grocery Co. (BGC) founders and outdoor and wildlife aficionados Wood T. and Louise Brookshire, the museum features more than 450 animals from various regions of the world, and is divided into regions, taking guests on a journey of different areas of Africa and the Artic. Approximately half of the museum’s wildlife exhibits was collected from the three African safaris W.T. and Louise went on during the 1960s and 1970s. Local families who accompanied the Brookshire’s on safaris also donated to the collection.
“The World of Wildlife Museum was created by our founders to be an educational facility,” said Rick Rayford, BGC president and CEO. “We continue to offer the museum as a free service to the community because it was their vision for a place where children could come to learn and have fun. We are happy to provide new equipment for children to enjoy for many years.”
Barbara Bass, mayor of Tyler, Texas, where Brookshire’s is based, presented a proclamation to company officials to celebrate the updated playground.
More than 50,000 visitors travel to the museum each year, admission to which is free.