National Mango Board Honors Retailer of the Year
The National Mango Board (NMB) honored four retailers at its Mango Industry Reception during this year’s PMA Fresh Summit on Oct. 27, for being the “best of the best” in mango retailing, and providing support and promotion for mangos. Dominic Pelosi of the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. was awarded "Mango Retailer of the Year," NMB’s highest honor. The 2012 Mango "Model Retailers" included John Savidan and Keith Tsuchiyama, Bristol Farms; Lee Arthur, The Fresh Market; and Jim Wood, Schnucks.
According to NMB executive director William Watson, choosing the winners was a real challenge. “The mango industry has many heroes and champions at retail,” he said. “It’s exciting to see how much support we get, especially compared to just a few years ago."
The Mango Model Retailers and the Mango Retailer of the Year were chosen based on the following criteria:
- Produce impressive mango sales and volume increases
- Follow through on commitments to NMB programs and provide results at the close of each funded promotion
- Educate consumers about mangos through display, POS materials, ads, website, newsletters and other vehicles
- Facilitate mango training and inspire associates to handle, merchandise and promote mangos more effectively
- Be aware of market forces, work with the industry through difficult supply periods and promote mangos in all seasons
- Engage in effective, high-quality, creative promotions that connect with shoppers on multiple levels
"Many of our relationships with retailers have moved beyond just funded promotions,” said Megan McKenna, director of marketing for Orlando, Fla.-based NMB. “These retailers are our partners and they help support the mango industry year round. Based on the success of the Mango Retailer of the Year program in its first year, the NMB plans to continue it in 2013.”
The NMB is a national promotion and research organization designed to drive awareness and consumption of fresh mangos in the U.S.