FMI Store Manager Awards Finalists Revealed
The Food Marketing Institute (FMI) has made public the nine finalists in its 12th annual Store Manager Awards competition. Three grand-prize winners will be selected from among these finalists and revealed on Wednesday, May 11, 2011, at the Future Connect leadership conference at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas.
“Successful store managers are not only committed to increasing sales and profits, they are equally committed to customer satisfaction and improving the communities they serve,” noted Leslie G. Sarasin, president and CEO of Arlington, Va.-based FMI.
The finalists were chosen according to their ability to create programs that achieved positive growth and customer satisfaction in their stores during the past 12-18 months Additional factors that determined the selection of the finalists included a proven ability to lead, mentor and motivate associates, the demonstration of a balance between people skills and operational skills, the ability to community company goals and store milestones to associates, the ability to execute innovative in-store programs and/or special events that improve overall customer service and community relations, the improvement of the store’s financial performance.
One grand-prize winner will be picked from each of three categories by size of the company: Category A (1-49 stores), Category B (50-199 stores) and Category C (200 or more stores).
The finalists are as follows:
- Shawn Commons, store manager at PriceRite Supermarket in Reading, Pa.
- Tom Gordon, store manager at Byerly’s in Maple Grove, Minn.
- Bill Skeard, store manager at The Gardens in Corner Brook, Newfoundland
- Ray Brose, store manager at Sweetbay Supermarket in Cape Coral, Fla.
- Allan Bussey, store director at Brookshire Grocery Co. in Tyler, Texas
- Tracey Hershenhorn, store manager at Shelburne Road Price Chopper Supermarket in Burlington, Vt.
- Kristi Masterson, store director at Hy-Vee, Inc. in Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Rusty Stewart, store manager at The Kroger Co. in Newnan, Ga.
- Ray Waldrop, store director at Bi-Lo Supermarket in Rock Hill, S.C.
Finalists were chosen based on stories submitted from their supervisors or store associates. Theses entries were rated according to originality, creativity, and the nominee’s impact on sales growth, customer satisfaction and community service.
The nine finalists will receive two complimentary registrations for Future Connect and three nights of hotel accommodations in Dallas. The three-grand prize winners will each get a $1,000 prize and a crystal award.
Last year’s grand prize winners were Dave McCleery, Russ’s Market, Lincoln, Neb.; Sharon Boyett, Brookshire Grocery Co., Monroe, La.; and Molly Stiles, The Kroger Co., Farragut, Tenn.